• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

lunch meat vs. real meat

LOGan1314

Bluelighter
I have heard that sliced lunch meat (especially packaged) is worse for you than getting actual chicken/turkey breasts or whatever. Is this true? Do I still absorb all of the protein from sliced lunch meat that I do from eating whole chicken and turkey breasts?

Logan, Im versed and/or have access to reliable stats etc. I keep a journal of my progress. My Mom used to have access to vo2 max equip. and other diagnostic machines at the Veterans Hospital.

Do I still absorb all of the protein from sliced lunch meat that I do from eating whole chicken and turkey breasts?
The fda requires ( idk ) that packaged food stuffs require the manufacturer to state contents on Packaging. I guess to find out what kind of preservatives ( bad shit in the media like phosphates ) the chicken farm/South american cattle Ranch includes in the feed the workers give to the Livestock, you...............idk, maybe we'll never find out.

What kind of line or direction do you use when trying to calculate the content of something. Isnt your major sports/science related?

Well I buy pre-packaged sliced turkey/ham/chicken breast, and it says the amount of protein on the package (usually around 35-42 grams per entire package). What I'm asking is do I still absorb all the protein from this pre-packaged, preservative-infused meat? Or should I stick to buying raw meat and cooking it myself(chicken breasts, hamburger patties, steaks, etc.) Sorry it's kind of confusing....

i cant back this up with journals, but most of my food revelations have come from the gut

honestly imo buying a chicken/turkey whole or breast/thigh whatever, then cooking it and slicing it yourself would be more nutritious than presliced

basically if it takes more effort it is generally worth it, thats pretty much my mantra for the past few years which i don't follow most of the time but i should

having said that I dont think most people have the time or energy to do that with turkey and ham, chicken however is worth cooking urself

I don't have a source, but I reckon the preservatives in packaged meats will detract from the the 'healthiness' of the meal, as compared to non-packaged meats.

Lunch meats usually consist of ground up meat parts that are mixed with preservatives and then pressed into a block before being sliced. Although it contains protein, the net effect of the preservatives on the body makes it a poor quality protein source.

You're better off cooking whole meat and then slicing it into portions for your daily meals.

^this and the 6 previous posts.

If you have set a goal and it is to reach a new lower% body fat ( is popular one ) and/or to increase lean muscle mass ( very popular for American men ) or have been diagnosed bby a Licensed Practitioner w/ a condition or disease that can be addressed through diet/exercise, then you might be able, depending on a few factors like your monetray budget, how easy/fun it is to go to the market where they sell the sliced meats, how much less effort it takes to eat the pre-packaged, pre-sliced, manufacturer has included the nutritional contents on the package -VS- going to a Meat Market. Meat Markets have personal that may be able to make special packages for you if you just ask nicely. Lean meats, fatty chops, exotic shit like goat, lamb, organs.

If you are doing anerobic type exercises, and success is 80% diet/20% quality of exercise, then maybe you should find the spirit.
If the lunch meat better fits your lifestyle, then eat it Logan

google "nitrates and protein in lunch meat."

Nitrates imo are something you don't want.

The protein can also come from "other" sources in the lunch meat. It may be soy product or milk adding to the protein content.
If you are really looking for healthy food, I'd limit the amount of processed foods altogether. The closer a food is to it's natural state the better.

My 2 cents.

It's pretty likely that processed meats are responsible for the statistical effect of "red meat" on heart disease; I would try to avoid them.

ebola

Pink Slime is a processed beef product that was originally used in pet food and cooking oil and later approved for public consumption.[9] In 2001, The United States approved the product for limited human consumption and it was used as a food additive to ground beef and beef-based processed meats as a filler at a ratio of usually no more than 25 percent of any product. The production process uses heat in centrifuges to separate the fat from the meat in beef trimmings.[10] The resulting product is exposed to ammonia gas or citric acid to kill bacteria.[10][11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime

google "nitrates and protein in lunch meat."

Nitrates imo are something you don't want.

The protein can also come from "other" sources in the lunch meat. It may be soy product or milk adding to the protein content.
If you are really looking for healthy food, I'd limit the amount of processed foods altogether. The closer a food is to it's natural state the better.

My 2 cents.

Your point about nitrates is right on point. Bacon also has a lot of nitrates.

Lunch meat is generally processed and has a lot of sodium which makes it a lot worse than an actual chicken or turkey breast.

You could also look for uncured meats. They are more expensive, but better for you.

I have heard that sliced lunch meat (especially packaged) is worse for you than getting actual chicken/turkey breasts or whatever. Is this true? Do I still absorb all of the protein from sliced lunch meat that I do from eating whole chicken and turkey breasts?

Yes. It's worse due to the amount of sodium it contains and some sliced lunch meat contains more fat than actual meat.

If you like lunch meat, try to go with a low sodium alternative.

I had a big sandwich today with lots of lunch meat. All it tasted like was salt :\. Definitely not healthy.

Processed meats tend to be of lower quality muscle or organ meat which often does not have the full amino profile you are looking for. If it's cooked at least once it has even lesser amounts of those aminos. The whole reason to eat meat are the amino profile and the various other nutrient profiles.

Lunch meat grosses me out usually. I havent bought it in years. It seems too "fake".

But what about "high quality" lunch meats like Boar's Head (brand)? I consider that stuff to be healthier than say Oscar Mayer. I havent done any research on it though. I'll eat Boar's Head turkey sandwich once in awhile and feel good about it.